Saturday, June 9, 2012

SUMMARY: week 1

The SUMMARY series (haha) is for all the peeps in my life who don't have the time and patience to read my long detailed posts *coughnotmyfamilycough*


They'll come every weekend either Saturday or Sunday. I may do one in the middle of the week if a lot is happening :-) If you have questions feel free to comment and ask away! Enjoy! 



Monday was a long day of traveling. Honduran driving is crazy. Met the rest of the team. Learned a good bit about the state of Honduras on the way down. Monday was a very very very long day.

Tuesday was meeting the church staff and hearing all the different jobs we could help with, and then touring the actual sites. Basically Limon community center is a nutrition clinic/day care with bible classes/english classes/computer classes. There's about 70-80 kids there. Casa Hogar Vida is a community with an orphanage, a neighborhood, handicrafts place, hotel, coffee roaster, brick factory. We also went shopping for breakfast and lunch food.

Wednesday I worked at Limon with the bebes and helped the computer class. I didn't feel that connected and couldn't see myself working there for 2 months. However, Sarah told me Casa Hogar Vida was different and it sounded like I'd really like it.

Thursday I went to Casa Hogar and fell in love :-) The 6 orphans are super sweet and cute and fun and obsessed with cameras and electronic dictionaries. I met some different awesome people in the community, including a woman with HIV who calls all her Christian friends her family because her own family disowned her, a man who got a loan to start a chicken farm, and an older woman who is completely on fire for God and has seen God do some amazing things in her life. That night we got milkshakes and got to bond more with the other team members. (It also didn't rain today – shocker!)

Friday we talked about evangelism, played with the orphans, slacklined with the kids (google it), and evangelized in three homes – two Christians and a new church-goer. It was so great for me to hear the Christians' stories and be able to encourage them. I'm desperate to get better at Spanish so I can give April a break (her Spanish is the best out of us six at Casa Hogar). That evening, we were going to have a teen meeting at Casa Hogar, but the rain finally came in time to interrupt the meeting :-) we all huddled in a few of the houses and the kids took pictures with my camera.

Saturday I enjoyed getting up late and not having anything on the agenda :-) We went to Wendy's for lunch and I wrote all of these novels here on my blog and got ready for church. Church was pretty sweeeeet. I love singing in Spanish, and I was able to get the gist of the sermon, which was good. Mostly by copying my neighbor's notes haha. The sermon was about Mary and Martha and the importance of daily times of sitting with Jesus :-) Had a good night – wish I could have those kind of nights like 4 times a week! Haha!

2 comments:

  1. This is an excellent idea for everyone who wants the gist of what's going on, but doesn't have time to read the novel. I like them both!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great week! Kiss those sweet orphans for me! Oh, and tell Sarah and Elsa hi from the Mileys!

      Delete